The aim of this section is to:
- Provide a starting from from which it should be possible to find any species or site featured on the Nature of Dorset even if you do not know its name
These aims are achieved by:
- Providing the starting points for three possible pathways that lead to a specific species or a Dorset nature reserve or wildlife 'hot-spot'
This section can be used for:
- Starting the process of finding a nature reserve or other site by name, by location or by owner/manager
- Exploring the location and technical details of the Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Dorset
- Discovering more about the various common habitats found in Dorset, where they are and what species might be found in each
- Using a structured 'top down' approach to species identification
- Using an alternative 'query' based approach to species identification
- Find species information by common or scientific name
- much more!
From this home page you can:
Access the PLACES section for:
- details of over 200 nature reserves and wildlife 'hot-spots' in Dorset. For each that I have visited there is a description, some visitor information, some photographs, a location map, a species list and a link to other sites nearby.
- details of the Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Dorset, there are 139 of them
- details of the primary habitat types you can encounter in Dorset; the features of each and the animals and plants associated with them.
Access the SPECIES section for:
- my 'top down' identification tool, start by selecting the general group of species and work downwards
- my 'filter' identification tools where you can select key attributes such as colour, habitat, time of year and so on to produce a suggested list of species matching those attributes
- an aphabetic index of all the species in the Nature of Dorset database with search facitilies for quick access to the species of your choice.
Access the RECORDS section for:
- recent recorded sightings and the complete database of all sightings
- a map of the best covered sites in Dorset and the records for those sites
- an index of contributors via Twitter and Facebook of records and photographs